Sunday, June 2, 2013

I'm making some Gears armor. Woooo!



Ever since I was a little kid, I've always enjoyed dressing up at Halloween and at any other time I could get away with it. Superman, Batman, the Ghostbusters, Boba Fett....Lion-O, you name it....I wanted to dress up as it for Halloween. My grandfather made it worse because he and a few of his old buddies used to do special fx makeup and made their own wild-western type movies. So he was really the inspiration for me to do film and prop-related work. He would help me do any kind of special makeup stuff or even help me build guns or other props.


I'm also a heavy gamer. I play a ton of stuff. One of my current favorite franchises is Gears of War. I love the armor and weapon designs in that game. I've been a big fan of Epic since the early Unreal days. Big guys in big armor, slamming into stuff and kicking ass. My kinda game. 

So I've decided to start a new costume project. My own Gears of War COG armor. There are a ton of people out there that are already working on similar projects or have already had theirs done for along time. But I'm gonna take a crack at it and hopefully do some unique things with my project. 

I'm going to be making the armor out of EVA floor mat foam squares. I get mine from Harbor Freight for about $8 for a 4-pack. Pretty cheap. I've got about 8-10 packs of it. So plenty incase of screw ups. 



 
This stuff is really easy to use. Easy to cut and shape into almost anything. You just need a dremel too, heat gun and some time and patience. Which I'm always working on the patience part.

I'll post more photos once I draw out the patterns and actually get started. This will be a fun project that I hope to have done before Dragon*con in September this year. So I have some time, I just don't want to sit on it and wait 3 months before I really start working on it. It's not a hard deadline either, as long as I get it done this year...I'll be okay. I'll wear it for Halloween if I can't get it done for Dragon*con.

- D. Viking

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you working on this again. I'd still like a set of armor at some point, but that requires me to stop being an indecisive asshole and come with a final design.

    ReplyDelete